Ready to take your blog or business to a whole other level?
Then Instagram for business could be the next step for you!
This guide will take your through:
- a step-by-step walkthrough for setting up an Instagram business account
- how to convert a personal account to an Instagram business account
- 9 statistics every business owner should know about Instagram
Today, we’re going to talk about why you should be on this social media platform in addition to the benefits of having a business account for your blog or shop.
We’ll even talk about how to complete the ideal business profile on IG.
Let’s talk about why you need to start using Instagram for business first!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and I could earn a commission if you use them. This comes at no additional cost to you and all opinions are my own.
Instagram for Business: How to Set Up Your New IG Account
So, you’re already active on Pinterest and you’ve dabbled in Twitter.
Is Instagram similar to these platforms? Does it work for business? How can it help me grow? These are a few of the questions I constantly get asked by other bloggers and business owners!
Why you should be using Instagram
First off, let’s talk statistics:
- there are 1 billion active users on Instagram, 500 million of which say they are active at least once a day
- 25 million other businesses around the world have already set up an IG account for their brand or franchise
- 2 million advertisers around the world use Instagram Stories alone for their businesses
- 1 of 3 of the most viewed Stories are produced by business accounts
- Instagram is the second most engaged social media network after Facebook
- 83% of users say that they discover new products and services while using this social media platform
- 50% of users follow at least one business
- Over 200 million IG users say that they visit at least one business profile a day
- 80% of users say this platform helps them make purchasing decisions
Why You Need Instagram For Business
Instagram is a visual platform and as such, thoughtfully created and unique content including photos, videos, and graphics do well on this form of social media.
When you signup for a business account, you’ll get access to:
A native analytics tool that provides data on your follower demographics, behaviours, and content performance.
Purchase ad space according to location, demographics, interests, or behaviours to expand your business or brand’s reach.
A button in the middle of your profile page that makes it as easy as one click for potential clients and customers to get in touch with you.
Swipe Up Feature On Stories
Include links to your business website or portfolio in each of your Instagram story slides.
Signing Up For A New Instagram Account
- Download the Instagram App
- Create An Instagram Account
- Choose A Username & Password
- Find Accounts To Follow
- Upload A Profile Photo
Switching To An Instagram Business Account
- Create A Facebook Business Page If You Haven’t Already
- Click Edit Profile
- Click Try Instagram Business Tools
- Connect Your Facebook Business Page By Clicking Next
- If You Skip Connecting Your Facebook Page, You’ll Be Asked To Choose A Category
- Review Your Contact Info
- Click Done
That’s it! You’re ready to go!
Now, let’s talk about the ideal Business Profile.
Completing Your Instagram Business Profile
The first thing we’ll want to do is fill out your bio and submit the contact information you’d like to display publicly (you can choose whether or not you’ll like to list an email, phone number, and/or your business address, if you have a storefront or work out of an office, for instance).
Since your bio is limited to 150 characters, try to keep your description to the point while also making it memorable.
Feel free to get cute if you’re a blogger but make sure you also mention what it is you write about.
If you have a shop or other service-based business, be sure to mention what it is you offer. You want your clientele to be able to learn all they need to know here and be intrigued enough to visit your website.
If you don’t have a business website or blog yet, follow this six-step guide to create yours in under 15 minutes.
Now, let’s start uploading some content!
Posting Your First Piece of Content
To post your first photo or video to your new Instagram account, click the Plus Sign Button at the bottom middle of your mobile device’s screen.
From here, you’ll be asked for access to your phone or tablet’s gallery.
Choose a great photo or video to start your new account with a bang and don’t forget to introduce yourself and your brand from the get go.
Bonus: Start using Hashtags like a Pro by following my guide on this subject. Hashtags are a huge part of any successful Instagram strategy and you are permitted to use up to 30 of them per post.
How To Be Visible On Instagram
Like Pinterest and Twitter, you can make yourself more discoverable in a number of ways. Try the following:
- Using Hashtags
- Tagging A Location
- Tagging Other Brands & Feature Accounts
- Cross-Promoting On Other Social Media Platforms – you have the option to share every Instagram Post on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr at the time you share it here
Which social media platforms do you use for your business? What type of business do you manage? I’d love to hear your thoughts on Instagram for business and more in the comments below!